Friday, March 8, 2013

OPI Oz The Great And Powerful Collection Review


Happy Friday everyone!  Today I have OPI's newest Oz collection for you.  I actually swatched these over a week ago, but couldn't post it because my bottle of Which Is Witch? was missing a brush!  So I had to wait for a replacement bottle so that I can swatch it. x)


Don't Burst My Bubble, 3 coats: sheer pink tinted white.  This color is a very pale pink that almost looks white.  It's just like the OPI NYC Ballet shades in terms of the finish: very glossy, milky, and squishy looking.  I'm a big fan of the NYC soft shades, so I was pleased with all the sheers in this collection.  I am going to say that this color can look a bit unflattering on those with medium warm skintones.  It can make your hands look darker, and sometimes I felt my nails looked pallid.  Still...I can't help but like it.  I envy those who can pull off this shade better. x)  Plus, it has better coverage than the NYC shades.



Which is Witch?, 1 coat over Don't Burst My Bubble: medium holographic glitter amidst fine holo glitters and bar glitters.  This one is a super blingy holographic glitter party.  I love how this looks out in the sun.  It looks especially nice over DBMB.  Application was great and covers well in one coat.



I Theodora You, 3 coats: sheer pink.  This is the most opaque sheer in the collection.  As you can see, it's pretty opaque, almost like a creme-jelly finish.  I love this pink because it's very similar to my favorite sheer pink, SC Tutu, but without the shimmer.  I'm definitely a fan of this!



Lights of Emerald City, 2 coats over I Theodora You: medium white squares with smaller iridescent squares.  This one needed two coats for good coverage.  I also had to fish for the white squares a bit and place them on the nail.  The overall look is nice though, and it's not the most demanding of glitters.



I actually own the glitters in Lights of Emerald City. x) I think that's the reason why I'm not gushing over this polish, but I think everyone else will like it.


Glints of Glinda, 4 coats: sheer beige.  I found this a little sheerer than the others.  Other than that, it had the same great formula: easy to apply and self-leveling.  I really liked this one!  I predict I will be wearing it again very soon.



When Monkeys Fly!, 1 coat over Glints of Glinda: large gold hexes with holo glitters in small and medium sizes.  GAH.  Is this not the most beautiful combination ever?  But why OPI!  Whyyyy?  I'm sure everyone knows by now that the gold glitters in here curl.  You can see on my nail that they either curve into my nail or up off my nail. :/  Curling glitter, better known as taco glitter, is what you get when you use glitter that is not solvent resistant.  This means the glitter is reacting with the polish base because it was not made to withstand the chemicals in it.  I'm not sure if the glitters will continue to curl, but I'm disappointed that they curl at all.  This would have easily been my most favorite polish from the collection.  It's so pretty!



What Wizardry Is This?, 2 coats: brown liquid sand with gold shimmer.  The gold shimmer is more subtle, showing up in certain lights and fading away in others.  You may know by now that I'm not the biggest fan of texture polishes.  For this particular one, I can't decide if I like it or hate it.  I feel like my opinion changes depending on the lighting.  What do you think?  Formula-wise it was great though: good pigmentation, easy application, and fast dry time.


Verdict:  My favorite part of the collection is definitely the sheers.  I would have loved When Monkeys Fly! if it weren't for the tacos.  I also wish there was a green and a red in this collection!  I understand why Emerald City is a white polish and that there were no ruby slippers in the movie, but there were definitely some rich reds and greens in the costumes.  It would have been nice if OPI had incorporated that into their polish.  Ah well, at least I have my sheers. :P

Availability: This limited edition promotion is now available at Professional Salons, including Beauty Brands, Chatters, jcp Salons, Pure Beauty, Regis, Trade Secret, and ULTA, for $9.00 ($10.95 CAN) suggested retail for each nail lacquer.


Have you picked up any of these polishes?


Liz
Products in this post were sent to me for my honest review.
Please view my disclosure policy for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)